Silk Stocking District

The Silk Stocking District is a historic district in the city of Talladega, Alabama, USA. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on December 13, 1979. Architectural styles include Queen Anne, Classical Revival, Colonial Revival, American Craftsman, and other late Victorian types. The district covers 113 acres (46 ha) and contained 120 contributing properties when first listed. They are worthy of preservation for the significance in American history, architecture, archaeology, engineering, and culture.

Map.jpg

On map, see #

1

press to zoom

press to zoom
1/1

Michael Supply Company

c 1894; Destroyed

301 E St S

On map, see #

2

press to zoom

press to zoom
1/1

Tool Robbs House

c 1915; Destroyed

307 E St S

On map, see #

3

press to zoom

press to zoom
1/1

Wren-Avery House

c 1890

401 E St S

Designed by Montgomery architect Frank Lockwood and constructed by Robert S. West for Dr. E. B. Wren, a physician, this house displays beauty and craftsmanship in its ornamented spire, ornate chimneys, and unusual arched stained-glass triple-windows.

On map, see #

4

press to zoom

press to zoom
1/1

Wren Annex

mid 19th century

104 South St W

On map, see #

5

press to zoom

press to zoom
1/1

Simms-Grice House

c. 1890

407 E St S

This Victorian house was built by Dr. B. B. Simms, a local physician, for use as his residence and office. A skylight illuminates the room he used for operation. The Simms family owned the home until 1983, when it was purchased by its current owner.

On map, see #

6

press to zoom

press to zoom
1/1

Adams House

c. 1890

409 E St S

Built by John Hicks, a local industrialist and banker, the house was sold to the Adams family, operators of Adams Carriage and Stable Company and one time owners of Shocco Springs. The house contains 23 rooms and 9 fireplaces.

On map, see #

7

press to zoom

press to zoom
1/1

Thornton - Pollack/Rawls

1889

411 E St S

Built by Hugh McElderry for Probate Judge William Thornton, the elaborate trim work in the Carpenter's Gothic home exhibits well-executed craftmanship. When the Union Army under Gen John Croxton was passing through Talladega, Judge Thornton persuated the General to extinguish fires set in the courthouse by giving him a Masonic sign.

On map, see #

8

press to zoom

press to zoom
1/1

Thornton-Lee House

1888

501 E St S

Built by J. Melville Thornton, this house is better known locally as Miss Nellie's Boarding House, since it was operated in that capacity for years by Miss Nellie Ellis.

On map, see #

9

press to zoom

press to zoom
1/1

Henkel King House

1908

503 E St S

William Henkel built this house. Note the double-itched gabled roof and apron porch.

On map, see #

10

press to zoom

press to zoom
1/1

McAlpine-Simons House

1836

505 E St S

Built for Judge Eli Sportridge, the house was purchased by Dr. August McAlpine in 1868. Notables who lived here were William Chilton, a Chief Justice of the Alabama Supreme Court, Franklin Bowden, Sr., one of Alabama's first orators and for whom Bowden College and the town of Bowden, Georgia are named. Robert E. B. Baylor, who resided here as a young lawyer, went on to be ordained a Baptist minister and a driving force in the founding of Baylor University in Waco, Texas.

On map, see #

11

press to zoom

press to zoom
1/1

Plowman-Heacock House

1857

511 E St S

This Doric Greek Revival mansion was constructed for Captain Albert Plowman who married Idora McClellan, daughter of General William B McClellan. Idora McClellan Plowman became a national published writer of plantation life stories under the pen name of Betsy Hamilton. Ralph Hammond, author of Ante-Bellum Mansions of Alabama call this "Talladega's most beautiful Doric-colonaded mansion".

On map, see #

12

press to zoom

press to zoom
1/1

Wilson-Graham House

1890

605 E St S

This house was built for Talladega banker Sam Wilson. Dormer windows in the paramidal roof are a recent addition.